Monday, January 8, 2007

I actually made a check raise!!!

Greetings all, I hope this entry finds you during a streak as hot as mine.

To update you all I can only say that I am still on fire, having ended 22 of the last 24 days in the black! I won $650 in the last week in only 5,000 hands (about 16.65 hours). I wish I had more time to play. I actually will soon as I am starting my new job tomorrow and should be able to put 3-4 hours a day in at work within the next few weeks (I need to get trained in first).

I made the full time move to $50nl and have moved my goal of moving up to $100nl from April 1st to March 1st. Assisting me is the fact I can still turn my UB points into cash without affecting my rakeback. This means $650-$750 per month at my current limit for free. Greatness!!!

My roll currently sits at $1865 so with any luck I will be crushing $100nl in no time.

I have a couple of hands I'd like to post here for your viewing pleasure. The first is also going to be posted on the CR low limit cash board. Take a look:

Villain is 52/4 over only 25 hands.

Hand #37040933-68161 at Clarksville (No Limit Hold'em)
Started at 08/Jan/07 00:40:17

deutschplay is at seat 0 with $52.10.
CapAnson is at seat 1 with $51.30.
leo2302 is at seat 2 with $59.50.
ShazebAndleeb is at seat 3 with $108.05.
hmx808 is at seat 4 with $81.15.
ceo3002 is at seat 5 with $21.45.
The button is at seat 5.

deutschplay posts the small blind of $.25.
CapAnson posts the big blind of $.50.

deutschplay: -- --
CapAnson: As Qd
leo2302: -- --
ShazebAndleeb: -- --
hmx808: -- --
ceo3002: -- --

Pre-flop:
leo2302 raises to $1.50. ShazebAndleeb folds.
hmx808 folds. ceo3002 folds. deutschplay folds.
CapAnson calls.

Flop (board: Th Ad Kd):
CapAnson checks. leo2302 bets $2. CapAnson raises
to $6. leo2302 folds. CapAnson is returned $4
(uncalled).

I NEVER check raise. Seriously, I may do it once every 500 hands or so. In this case I made the play because I wanted to make sure my hand was good. I figured that if I bet and he called I really didn't know where I was. I thought he certainly may have AK, AT, or KT as those hands seemed within his range. I thought that if I checked and he checked behind I would pop on the turn and not be out the cash as if I had bet and he called (this way I still had no info but at least it did not cost me). The main idea of a check raise here was to gather info. Was it an ok line? When do you check raise?

I rarely use the play because I don't want to rely on others to bet my hand for me. I usually use it when I am not sure if I am good. I think by using it then I can get some info and make my opponent believe I am stronger than I am. The other times I use the check raise is usually against super aggro fishy types that can't get away from a hand.

Now for some fun...this hand may be the worst play I have ever seen!

Hand #37040728-101491 at Paterson (No Limit Hold'em)
Started at 08/Jan/07 02:32:42

rraid4life is at seat 0 with $48.50.
icatchin is at seat 1 with $69.85.
dankgambler76 is at seat 2 with $33.25.
scarney46 is at seat 3 with $91.15.
Ibbid is at seat 4 with $72.45.
CapAnson is at seat 5 with $51.75.
The button is at seat 4.

CapAnson posts the small blind of $.25.
rraid4life posts the big blind of $.50.

rraid4life: -- --
icatchin: -- --
dankgambler76: -- --
scarney46: -- --
Ibbid: -- --
CapAnson: Kc Ad

Pre-flop:
icatchin calls. dankgambler76 calls. scarney46
folds. Ibbid calls. CapAnson raises to $3.
rraid4life calls. icatchin calls. dankgambler76
calls. Ibbid folds.

Flop (board: 3c Kh 4c):
CapAnson bets $8. rraid4life calls. icatchin calls.
dankgambler76 folds.

Turn (board: 3c Kh 4c 4d):
CapAnson bets $25. rraid4life folds. icatchin
calls.

River (board: 3c Kh 4c 4d 6s):
CapAnson goes all-in for $15.75. icatchin calls.

Showdown:
CapAnson shows Kc Ad.
CapAnson has Kc Ad Kh 4c 4d: two pair, kings and fours.
icatchin mucks cards.
(icatchin has Ac 5c.)

I asked him why he called on the turn with just a draw and he claimed he thought I was bluffing. I then asked how he called the river bet and he once again said he thought ace high was good. I told him I was concerned he was slow playing a set.....he then asked me why I didn't fold if I was worried! I replied, "because you didn't raise." He lost his last $5 and left...

I'll be sure to post some time mid week with an update. Until then good luck at the tables!

3 comments:

Guin said...

Hey check out my blog... a fellow CR (just joined this last weekend) player... I also play in a bunch of blogger events which are sure to put you against top notch players.

I will note why I hate both of your check raises on the CR site.... it is a great move but one that has better setups than the two you have shown.

Neb said...

Check raising is pretty powerful. I find myself betting out too much when I have a hand and when I don't and when I check people take advantage of me, especially OOP.

If you add check raise to your game, I think it makes you a lot more scary player.

Also, I don't usually question why people make a call. I think it's kind of like coaching them to play better. Sure, if the guy is cool and we can talk but generally speaking, people already feel bad about their decision and talking when you were the winner is just bad no matter what you say.

Game101 said...

Great to hear about your recent sucess. was looking at reviews of fruitypro since i'm thinking about signing up him for lessons. we play the same limits so chk out my blog http://islandgrinder.blogspot.com/
feel free to link me.