Thursday, January 25, 2007

10 Commandments for Low Limit Grinders

Before we get to the meat of this post let me give you a quick update on my quest for cash. Despite dropping $135 in 90 minutes early in the day playing $100nl, I had my biggest day ever yesterday winning $225 at $50nl. My hand of the day was kinda crazy. Sorry for cobbled up HH. I am at work but played this hand at home so I don’t have the exact HH in front of me.

UTG+1 - Hero $50
Button - Gomer $45
SB - Pyle $55

Hole Cards:
Hero: 22

Hero raises to $1.75, Gomer calls, Pyle calls (everybody else folds)

Flop:
K25 rainbow

Pyle checks, Hero raises to $4, Gomer re-raises to $8, Pyle calls, Hero re-raises to $20 (maybe I shoulda just called here?), Gomer re-raises all-in, Pyle re-raises all-in, Hero calls.

Turn:
10

River:
10

Showdown:
Pyle: K3 (LOL)
Hero: 22
Pyle: AA

Total Pot: $145

K3, are you freaking kidding me? I stacked the idiot in an $80 pot about 20 hands later as well.

Gotta love the fish….

I have been thinking about the following “rant” for awhile now. In fact I have slept on it a few nights trying to narrow things down to only 10 commandments. I know there have been several “Rules of Poker” posts and blogs and articles but this one has a different spin. While this applies to all players at all limits in many ways, my list is intentionally skewed towards low limit grinders like myself. So read on and enjoy.

10 COMMANDMENTS FOR LOW LIMIT GRINDERS

1. Thou shalt not play outside of their bankroll: This is common sense. We have all had this beat into our heads but for some reason we still ignore it. In fact, just yesterday I played some $100nl which I am in no way ready to do. This is not just about the money, it is just as much about the mental side of things. When you are focused in on one limit, to jump around to others can be disastrous.

2. Thou shalt wait for better spots: You have KTs in position and raise preflop. The UTG limper calls and the flop comes KQ5 rainbow. A player that smells a bit fishy pushes all-in into you. What to do? FOLD. Are you ahead? It is possible, maybe even likely. But this guy will give you better spots. Be patient and wait until you are certain (or at least more certain) you are good.

3. Thou shalt raise or fold, and not call preflop: Preflop you should only call with small to mid pp’s to a raise (and even then you should sometimes three bet). Otherwise raise or fold. As tempting as it might be to call a loose raiser with 89s it is generally a good way to get into a bad spot.

4. Thou shalt not fold AA, KK, or sets…EVER: This has received a ton of discussion on the CR board. At $100nl and below NEVER EVER fold AA or KK preflop. If you flop a set, NEVER EVER fold it (Unless of course the board is super scary like 789 suited or something like that, use judgment of course! The advice to never fold applies to a situation, for example, where you are worried about set over set.). If you are worried about set over set, you need to find a different game.

5. Thou shalt not bluff: C-bets with nothing do not count as a bluff. I am talking about two and three barreling and flat out bluffs in general. Players are too loose and unpredictable at this limit to bluff. It will not work often enough to be anything remotely resembling a +ev play.

6. Thou shalt not play distracted or while on tilt: No shit, you say? Even mild tilt can cause poor play. For a little bit more info on playing distracted please read my last blog post. We are all very guilty of this and you know it!

7. Thou shalt not blame poker site or fish for losses: Suckouts happen. Running flushes, straights, and boats happen. People beat your KK with 63o (happened to me last night). Is it SUPER frustrating? Absolutely. Will saying, “That’s UB for ya” or “FU you F’N fish” make the money you lost magically reappear in your account? Uhhh, no. If you take a bad beat, simply give a “nh” and hope the idiot sticks around. There is no reason to scare him away. I will never understand why people point out to a fish that they are, in fact, a fish. Why the hell would you insult the person that makes you money? Be nice to everybody and hope nobody else scares them off.

8. Thou shalt keep control of the table/pot: If you start calling too often you forfeit control of the pot. Be aggressive (but tight, TAG works best at low limits) in the pots you are in. If you feel like you are not in control of the table, leave. Find a better one. If you are involved in a pot and fell like you are along for the ride, slow down or fold. Pick a better spot (see commandment #2).

9. Thou shalt use pot control: If the board is scary or if you are not sure what your opponent might have, it is ok to check behind on the turn or river. I understand that getting max value is the goal but think of how many times you continued firing or raised the river after it was checked to you only to find out you were behind the whole time. Controlling the size of the pot is one of the most important keys in limiting swings and variance.

10. Thou shalt use all available tools: If you don’t have it, go out and but Poker Tracker right now. I’ll wait here. Got it? Good. While you’re at it Poker Ace HUD is a brilliant tool that has helped me multi-table since it makes “reads” for me. Using these two tools puts you ahead of 95% of players off the bat. I know it’s easy to put it off but watching videos on CR every week is also very important. You will always pick up something, so why not take advantage of them? I am also a huge advocate of posting on poker boards. You have the tools, USE THEM!!!

Hopefully something here helps somebody. In all seriousness if you really concentrate on these ten things I promise you with all my heart it will improve your game beyond measure. It sounds silly but when I implemented these things into my game I went from a minor winner to killing both $25nl and $50nl.

As always I look forward to your feedback.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
Very good rules to live by for low limit grinders like ourselves. Insightful and concise, keep it up!

Pichee

CapAnson said...

Thanks pichee!

Fruitypro said...

Hey man,

Very good advice in the commandments, if people could bear these in mind whilst at the tables then the games will be somewhat tougher!

Glad to see things keep on going well, speak soon,

Dan.